Colorado Ghost Town Photography - Animas Forks, Colorado
The First Prospectors wintered in "Three Forks of the Animas" in 1873, looking for silver and gold. In 1875 the name was changed to Animas Forks to accommodate the Post Office. By 1885, the summer population reached 450 people. Few braved the harsh winters when most mining activity stopped. The town weathered the boom and bust cycles of the mining industry until the early 1920s when metal prices fell worldwide and it began its slow transformation into a ghost town." The Animas Forks Pioneer was the highest altitude newspaper ever printed. Today, Animas Forks is well preserved. Access is cutoff during the winter months and many buildings remain standing.
Ghost Town Animas Forks Photography Pages Available
Overview of Animas Forks. The Duncan house is seen in this photo. Courtesy of the USGS.
Camera Used: Unavailable Unavailable
Exposure Time: Unavailable Aperture: Unavailable ISO: Unavailable
Date Taken: Unavailable
The remains of one of the Gold Prince mill's foundations, with the next level visible below.
Camera Used: CASIO COMPUTER CO.,LTD EX-Z40
Exposure Time: 1/500 Aperture: f/2.6 ISO: Unavailable
Date Taken: 2007:07:17 16:22:12