Colorado Ghost Town Photography - Granite, Colorado
Granite was established in 1867 and has never been completely abandoned. It is accessible via paved highway north of Buena Vista. In 1868, Granite took the county seat away from Dayton (later to become Twin Lakes), but in 1880 Buena Vista became the county seat, and eventually lost that to Salida as well. Placer gold was found in the area, but in 1879 with the Leadville silver boom, Granite's primary function became a stage stop and supply station.